Tagged: Ben Rawlence, book, PDF
Posted In: Badan Usaha
- InactiveAnonymous On06/12/2020 at 8:12 am #75061
City of Thorns
Nine Lives in the World’s Largest Refugee Camp
by Ben Rawlence
? City of Thorns — Click Here ?
- Format: hardcover, 384 pages
- Awards: Los Angeles Times Book Prize Nominee for Current Interest (2016), Dayton Literary Peace Prize Nominee for Nonfiction (2017), Ryszard Kapu?ci?ski Prize Nominee (2017), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Nonfiction (2017)
- Publisher: Picador
- Release date: January 5, 2016
- Language: english
- Author: Ben Rawlence
- Genres: africa, history, politics, war, biography, kenya, somalia, journalism
- ISBN: 9781250067630 (1250067634)
About The Book
To the charity workers, Dadaab refugee camp is a humanitarian crisis; to the Kenyan government, it is a ‘nursery for terrorists’; to the western media, it is a dangerous no-go area; but to its half a million residents, it is their last resort.
Situated hundreds of miles from any other settlement, deep within the inhospitable desert of northern Kenya where only thorn bushes grow, Dadaab is a city like no other. Its buildings are made from mud, sticks or plastic, its entire economy is grey, and its citizens survive on rations and luck. Over the course of four years, Ben Rawlence became a first-hand witness to a strange and desperate limbo-land, getting to know many of those who have come there seeking sanctuary. Among them are Guled, a former child soldier who lives for football; Nisho, who scrapes an existence by pushing a wheelbarrow and dreaming of riches; Tawane, the indomitable youth leader; and schoolgirl Kheyro, whose future hangs upon her education.
In City of Thorns, Rawlence interweaves the stories of nine individuals to show what life is like in the camp and to sketch the wider political forces that keep the refugees trapped there. Rawlence combines intimate storytelling with broad socio-political investigative journalism, doing for Dadaab what Katherinee Boo’s Behind the Beautiful Forevers did for the Mumbai slums. Lucid, vivid and illuminating, City of Thorns is an urgent human story with deep international repercussions, brought to life through the people who call Dadaab home.
PDF City of Thorns by Ben Rawlence read online for PC. Hardback book City of Thorns download on Dymocks. MP3 ebook City of Thorns.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.