Posted In: Badan Usaha
Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta
- Genres: fiction, lgbt, africa, queer, nigeria, historical, adult, novels
- Author: Chinelo Okparanta
- Places: Nigeria
- ISBN: 9780544003446 (0544003446)
- Awards: Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian General Fiction (2016), Hurston/Wright Legacy Award Nominee for Fiction (2016), The Center for Fiction First Novel Prize Nominee for Longlist (2015), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee for Shortlist (2017)
- Format: hardcover, 328 pages
- Release date: September 22, 2015
- Language: english
- Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
About The Book
Inspired by Nigeria’s folktales and its war, Under the Udala Trees is a deeply searching, powerful debut about the dangers of living and loving openly.
Ijeoma comes of age as her nation does; born before independence, she is eleven when civil war breaks out in the young republic of Nigeria. Sent away to safety, she meets another displaced child and they, star-crossed, fall in love. They are from different ethnic communities. They are also both girls.
When their love is discovered, Ijeoma learns that she will have to hide this part of herself. But there is a cost to living inside a lie.
As Edwidge Danticat has made personal the legacy of Haiti’s political coming of age, Okparanta’s Under the Udala Trees uses one woman’s lifetime to examine the ways in which Nigerians continue to struggle toward selfhood. Even as their nation contends with and recovers from the effects of war and division, Nigerian lives are also wrecked and lost from taboo and prejudice. This story offers a glimmer of hope — a future where a woman might just be able to shape her life around truth and love.
EPUB book Under the Udala Trees read online. Hardback Under the Udala Trees Chinelo Okparanta download for Kindle on Dymocks. MOBI ebook Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta on Book Depository. FictionBook ebook Under the Udala Trees buy cheap iOS. Paperback book Under the Udala Trees on iPad.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.